Laparoscopy surgery for endometriosis is a procedure that involves the use of a fine, illuminated tube (laparoscope) placed via a slit in the abdomen for viewing the pelvic organs. Laparoscopy is employed for finding issues like cyst, adhesion, fibroid or infections. The sample of tissues could also be drawn for biopsy via the tube.
In several situations, the laparoscopy could be conducted rather than laparotomy surgical procedure wherein a bigger slit is done on the abdominal area. Laparoscopy could cause lesser stress, associated issues and costing as compared to laparotomy in case of non-major surgical procedures.
It could mostly be performed without the need for over-night hospitalization.
Why is laparoscopy surgery for endometriosis done?
Laparoscopy surgery for endometriosis is conducted for the following reasons:
- Checking for and likely removal of irregular growth (like tumor) in the abdominal or pelvic region.
- Checking for and treating health problems like ectopic pregnancies, PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) and endometriosis.
- Finding health conditions which could be hampering conception chances like cyst, adhesion, fibroid and infections. This surgery could be performed subsequent to preliminary infertility testing not being able to point out the reason for a woman being infertile.
- For conducting a biopsy.
- Seeing if cancer present in another region of the body has metastasized to the abdomen.
- Checking for harm to any inner organs like the spleen, post-injury or accidents.
- Doing a tubal ligation.
- Fixing hernia (inguinal, haital).
- Excision of organ types like spleen, ovaries, appendix – through appendectomy, gall bladder through laparoscopic cholecystectomy or uterus. Part excision or resection of the colon could additionally be done.
- Finding the reason behind abrupt or on-going pelvic pains.
Signing a permit form prior to laparoscopy surgery would be necessary. Women should discuss with their physician regarding any queries that they might be having regarding the surgery, associated risks, the manner it is performed or the outcomes.
Informing the physician in case one has:
- Any allergic reaction to any form of medications inclusive of anesthesia.
- Clotting disorders or the woman is on the course of blood thinner medications like warfarin or Coumadin or aspirin.
- Have conceived or could have become pregnant.
Prior to laparoscopy women are advised to steer clear from
- Eating or drinking for twelve hours since being empty stomached would help in lowering the likelihood of puking for the duration of or subsequent to the surgical procedure. In case one takes medications, asking the physician whether they must be taken during the day when the procedure is due.
- Not wearing any kind of ornaments when due for the procedure since it would have to be taken off prior to the surgery commencing.
- All eye glasses, contact lens, denture or detachable bridges would need to be removed prior to laparoscopy surgery for endometriosis.
- Arranging for some person who would volunteer to drive the patient home post-surgery.
- Enema use would be advised for many hours prior to or a day prior to the operation for emptying the colon.